BLOG.RONSOME.COM

Vulnerablity Found in Flash

June 05, 2010

Steve Jobs must be laughing so hard his sides hurt. Yesterday Adobe released a security advisory detailing a "critical" vulnerability in Flash (as well as Acrobat and Reader). To make matters worse, Adobe has yet to come up with a fix. According to the bulletin users can upgrade to Flash 10.1RC. So it looks like I have two choices: upgrade to a non-production software release, or remove Flash altogether. I think I'll opt for the latter.

When I first saw the security bulletin I wondered exactly which version of Flash I had. First, I tried finding a Flash movie and clicking on "About Flash" in the context menu. That sent me to a page on Adobe's website which didn't even detect my Flash Player. Nice. My solution was to write a bookmarklet in JavaScript. This works fine in browsers other than IE. making it work in Microsoft's crappy browser would simply require more work than I'm willing to put in.

Check Flash Version

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I once read a developer describe Microsoft's security vulnerabilities as not overwhelming--but the security equivalent of wearing a huge "kick me" sign on its back.

    I feel that way about Adobe right now. What a raft of bad decisions, bad communication, and bad luck.

    By Blogger Kyrce, At Jun 12, 2010, 8:32:00 PM  

  • But what part bad decisions, what part bad communication, and what part bad luck?

    By Blogger Unknown, At Jun 15, 2010, 8:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home