BLOG.RONSOME.COM

Unexpected Links

March 01, 2010

I recently made the mistake of clicking a link in an e-mail. The e-mail contained only a link to an unknown web address and the subject was the name of a person I'd never met, but it appeared to be from a friend, using what I recognized as her address. Oops. The link redirected me to a sketchy website purportedly created to sell pills. Funny thing is, the linked page appears to be hosted by a legitimate German Swiss furniture designer. What can I say? The Company's name has the word "design", and I love me some good design.

After being redirected, I tried to report the site to Google as an attack site, but found myself in a captcha loop of death. I did manage to send a message to the contact e-mail on the website. I don't know how much good that will do, as the entire site appears to be in German (with the curious exception of the word "Home"), but I felt compelled to try.

So, what's the moral of the story? Don't click on unexpected links. I'm considering writing a Greasemonkey script to disable all webmail links, but I think that would only aggravate me when I got legitimate links. At any rate the smart thing to do is avoid clicking links that aren't explicitly explained in the e-mail.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home